Neil received his PhD in 1996 and joined the Department of Physics in 2011 as Associate Professor.
Research | Current
Neil is an expert on the nonlinear propagation of light in optical fibres and periodic media. He has been working on Photonic Crystal Fibres since they were first invented and has been involved in both developing new methods for analysing their properties and in novel fabrication methods for making them.
Most recently he has been looking at ways to taper photonic crystal fibres and how such tapers can be used to control the properties of optical pulses passing through them. Neil is also actively involved in examining other nonlinear periodic media such as fibre Bragg gratings, nonlinear Photonic crystals and mode-locked fibre lasers.
Areas of expertise
- Nonlinear optics
- Photonic crystal fibres
- Two dimensional nonlinear periodic optical media
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sutherland, R., Townend, J., Toy, V., Upton, P., Coussens, J., Allen, M., ... Boese, C. (2017). Extreme hydrothermal conditions at an active plate-bounding fault. Nature, 546 (7656), 137-140. 10.1038/nature22355
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jennifer Eccles
- Mahjoubfar, A., Churkin, D. V., Barland, S., Broderick, N. G., Turitsyn, S., & Jalali, B. (2017). Time stretch and its applications. Nature Photonics, 11 (6), 341-351. 10.1038/nphoton.2017.76
- Terrien, S., Krauskopf, B., & Broderick, N. G. R. (2017). Bifurcation Analysis of the Yamada Model for a Pulsing Semiconductor Laser with Saturable Absorber and Delayed Optical Feedback. SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, 16 (2), 771-801. 10.1137/16M1099236
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Soizic Terrien, Bernd Krauskopf
- Bowen, P., Erkintalo, M., Provo, R., Harvey, J. D., & Broderick, N. G. R. (2016). Mode-locked Yb-doped fiber laser emitting broadband pulses at ultralow repetition rates. Optics Letters, 41 (22), 5270-5270. 10.1364/OL.41.005270
- Broderick, N. G. R. (2016). Pulse instabilities in passively mode locked fibre lasers: A numerical investigation. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers.
- Terrien, S., Krauskopf, B., Broderick, N. G. R., & Barbay, S. (2016). Multistable dynamics in a micropillar laser with saturable absorber and delayed optical feedback. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bernd Krauskopf, Soizic Terrien
- Broderick, N. G. R. (2016). Pulse instabilities in passively mode locked fibre lasers: A numerical investigation. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 10.1364/BGPP.2016.JT4A.6
- Bowen, P., Erkintalo, M., Provo, R., Harvey, J. D., & Broderick, N. G. R. (2016). A giant chirp oscillator at ultra-low repetition rates. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers. 10.1364/NP.2016.NTh3A.3