Dr Maarten Dirk Hoogerland
MSc (Rijksuniversiteit Leiden)/PhD (Technische Universiteit Eindhoven)
My undergraduate days were spent at the The University of Leiden in Leiden, the Netherlands. After obtaining my Master's in Leiden in 1989 in the group of Prof. Woerdman, I moved to The University of Eindhoven for my PhD in the group of Herman Beijerinck, which I finished in 1993. Subsequently, I went to do a postdoc at The National Institutute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, in the group of Bill Phillips.
In 1994, I moved to Australia, where I became a Research Fellow and lateron (1999) a Fellow in the Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering, at the Australian National University, Canberra. In 2001 I moved back to the Netherlands to start work in a commercial company, ASML, on lithographic equipment. In 2002 I took up a position of Senior Lecturer at The University of Auckland.
I have established a new ultra-cold atom research facility in Auckland, which features an all-optical Bose-Einstein Condensate of rubidium atoms.
Research | Current
My research is been centered around the interaction and correspondence between light and matter, and the application of its principles to other areas of research. At low temperatures, matter can be made to behave much like light, i.e., best described by waves. In its interaction with such matter, light can behave like it is composed of particles. Laser cooling and trapping forms a key technique in understanding this interplay. I apply these cooling and trapping techniques to experimental research areas of fundamental atomic physics, quantum chaos, quantum information, and atom lasers. From this research emerges a deeper understanding of the quantum world, which determines in turn what happens in the world around us. Spin-offs from this research I am involved with are improved spectroscopic techniques, laser techniques, interferometric high-precision measurements and atomic beam applications.
More up-to-date information can be found on my group website http://qilab.phy.auckland.ac.nz
Areas of expertise
Spectroscopy, Ultra-cold atoms, Quantum Optics, Lasers
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Rengelink, R. J., van der Werf, Y., Notermans, R. P. M. J. W., Jannin, R., Eikema, K. S. E., Hoogerland, M. D., & Vassen, W. (2018). Precision spectroscopy of helium in a magic wavelength optical dipole trap. Nature Physics, 14 (11), 1132-1137. 10.1038/s41567-018-0242-5
- Brown, D. J., McPhail, A. V. H., White, D. H., Baillie, D., Ruddell, S. K., & Hoogerland, M. D. (2018). Thermalization, condensate growth, and defect formation in an out-of-equilibrium Bose gas. Physical Review A, 98 (1).10.1103/PhysRevA.98.013606
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Dylan Brown, Alexander McPhail
- Haase, T. A., White, D. H., Brown, D. J., Herrera, I., & Hoogerland, M. D. (2017). A versatile apparatus for two-dimensional atomtronic quantum simulation. Review of Scientific Instruments, 88 (11)10.1063/1.5009584
- Ruddell, S. K., Webb, K. E., Herrera, I., Parkins, A. S., & Hoogerland, M. D. (2017). Collective strong coupling of cold atoms to an all-fiber ring cavity. Optica, 4 (5), 576-579. 10.1364/OPTICA.4.000576
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Scott Parkins
- Boéris G, Gori, L., Hoogerland, M. D., Kumar, A., Lucioni, E., Tanzi, L., ... Carleo, G. (2016). Mott transition for strongly interacting one-dimensional bosons in a shallow periodic potential. Physical Review A, 93 (1)10.1103/PhysRevA.93.011601
- Valado, M. M., Simonelli, C., Hoogerland, M. D., Lesanovsky, I., Garrahan, J. P., Arimondo, E., ... Morsch, O. (2016). Experimental observation of controllable kinetic constraints in a cold atomic gas. Physical Review A, 93 (4)10.1103/PhysRevA.93.040701
- Valado, M. M., Hoogerland, M. D., Simonelli, C., Arimondo, E., Ciampini, D., & Morsch, O. (2015). Preparing cold atomic samples in different density regimes for Rydberg studies. In J. R. Salgueiro, M. T. FloresArias, J. B. VazquezDorrio, A. Guzman, Y. Arakawa (Eds.) Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 605 (1) Santiago de Compostela, SPAIN: IOP PUBLISHING LTD. 10.1088/1742-6596/605/1/012038
- Ruddell, S. K., White, D. H., Ullah, A., Baillie, D., & Hoogerland, M. D. (2015). Calorimetry of a harmonically trapped Bose gas. Physical Review A, 92 (6)10.1103/PhysRevA.92.063622