Dr Kasper van Wijk
Kasper received his PhD in 2003 from Colorado School of Mines, and an associate professor at Boise State University until 2012. In 2012, he joined the physics department of the University of Auckland.
Research | Current
- Laser ultrasonics
- Elastic wave scattering
Kasper works on a wide variety of applications to do with elastic wave propagation. These applications range from remotely sensing the structure of the Earth's subsurface with scattered seismic waves, to exciting and detecting ultrasonic waves with lasers in (fractured) earth and composite materials in the Physical Acoustics Laboratory. In addition, he directs a project to build and operate simple seismometers in schools in New Zealand.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- van Wijk, K., Simpson, J., & Adam, L. (2017). Teaching hands-on geophysics: examples from the Rū seismic network in New Zealand. European Journal of Physics, 38 (2), 023001-023001. 10.1088/1361-6404/aa5395
- Johnson, J. L., Shragge, J., & van Wijk, K. (2017). Nonconfocal all-optical laser-ultrasound and photoacoustic imaging system for angle-dependent deep tissue imaging. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 22 (4)10.1117/1.JBO.22.4.041014
- Hitchman, S., van Wijk, K., & Davidson, Z. (2016). Monitoring attenuation and the elastic properties of an apple with laser ultrasound. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 121, 71-77. 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2016.07.006
- Johnson, J. L., Wijk, K. V., Caron, J. N., & Timmerman, M. (2016). Gas-coupled laser acoustic detection as a non-contact line detector for photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging. Journal of Optics, 18 (2), 024005-024005. 10.1088/2040-8978/18/2/024005
- Vaughan, M. J., van Wijk, K., Prior, D. J., & Bowman, M. H. (2016). Monitoring the temperature-dependent elastic and anelastic properties in isotropic polycrystalline ice using resonant ultrasound spectroscopy. The Cryosphere, 10 (6), 2821-2829. 10.5194/tc-10-2821-2016
- Johnson, J. L., van Wijk, K., Caron, J. N., & Timmerman, M. (2016). Photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging with a gas-coupled laser acoustic line detector. Paper presented at Conference on Photons Plus Ultrasound - Imaging and Sensing, San Francisco, CA. 14 February - 17 February 2016. PHOTONS PLUS ULTRASOUND: IMAGING AND SENSING 2016. (pp. 5). 10.1117/12.2211800
- Shragge, J., Blum, T. E., van Wijk, K., & Adam, L. (2015). Full-wavefield modeling and reverse time migration of laser ultrasound data: A feasibility study. GEOPHYSICS, 80 (6), D553-D563. 10.1190/geo2015-0020.1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ludmila Adam
- Watson, L., & Van Wijk, K. (2015). Resonant ultrasound spectroscopy of horizontal transversely isotropic samples. Journal of Geophysical Research B: Solid Earth, 120 (7), 4887-4897. 10.1002/2014JB011839