Gilles Dominique Bellon
Research | Current
My work investigates how the interaction between tropical clouds and tropical atmospheric circulation creates the observed climate variability. I use models of different complexity to understand the mechanisms at play in this variability, from idealized, "toy" models to cloud-resolving models and state-of-the-art climate models (called general circulation models).
Teaching | Current
2016, Semester 1: PHYSICS 213, PHYSICS 231, GEOPHYSICS 331.
2016, Semester 2: PHYSICS 261, PHYSICS 732.
Areas of expertise
- Atmospheric sciences;
- Climate dynamics;
- Tropical climate variability;
- Tropical boundary layer.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Li, N., Bellon, G., & McGregor, G. (2017). Tropospheric moisture in the Southwest Pacific as revealed by homogenized radiosonde data: climatology and decadal trend. International Journal of Climatology, 37 (3), 1341-1355. 10.1002/joc.4780
- Bellon, G., & Geoffroy, O. (2016). How finely do we need to represent the stratocumulus radiative effect?. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 142 (699), 2347-2358. 10.1002/qj.2828
- Bellon, G., & Geoffroy, O. (2016). Stratocumulus radiative effect, multiple equilibria of the well-mixed boundary layer and transition to shallow convection. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 142 (697), 1685-1696. 10.1002/qj.2762
- Daleu, C. L., Plant, R. S., Woolnough, S. J., Sessions, S., Herman, M. J., Sobel, A., ... Bellon, G. (2016). Intercomparison of methods of coupling between convection and large-scale circulation: 2. Comparison over nonuniform surface conditions. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 8 (1), 387-405. 10.1002/2015MS000570
- Daleu, C. L., Plant, R. S., Woolnough, S. J., Sessions, S., Herman, M. J., Sobel, A., ... Bellon, G. (2015). Intercomparison of methods of coupling between convection and large-scale circulation: 1. Comparison over uniform surface conditions. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 7 (4), 1576-1601. 10.1002/2015MS000468
- Jiang, X., Waliser, D. E., Xavier, P. K., Petch, J., Klingaman, N. P., Woolnough, S. J., ... DeMott, C. (2015). Vertical structure and physical processes of the Madden-Julian oscillation: Exploring key model physics in climate simulations. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 120 (10), 4718-4748. 10.1002/2014JD022375
- Oueslati, B., & Bellon, G. (2015). The double ITCZ bias in CMIP5 models: interaction between SST, large-scale circulation and precipitation. Climate Dynamics, 44 (3-4), 585-607. 10.1007/s00382-015-2468-6
- Gentine, P., Bellon, G., & van Heerwaarden, C. C. (2015). A Closer Look at Boundary Layer Inversion in Large-Eddy Simulations and Bulk Models: Buoyancy-Driven Case. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 72 (2), 728-749. 10.1175/JAS-D-13-0377.1